So the greenhouse is built. Hurrah! Just need to bolt it down to the slab. It was – let’s say – a mission. I have no feeling to build another in my lifetime 😉 .
We laid the majority of the slabs over a very soggy Easter with my dad (where would we be without dads!). The front slabs we laid later, as it was too soggy to continue on Easter Monday. Now we’ve got loads of heat I notice these front ones have sunk slightly. I guess they will lift again once we get some more rain. The joy of clay. Anyway.
The greenhouse construction was further assisted by Rob & Marty. The instructions were middling. Andy & I finished the roof frame and then glazed. The first couple of panes were hardest. (Top tip – if you have a sticky seal system – just partially pull down the strip protecting the sticky side by an inch or so, and then position the pane, before pulling out the rest of the strip).
I eventually managed to fit the louvre, but not without calling the manufacturer. And finally fitted the vents. Now it’s so warm they certainly seem to be works – it’s 40 degrees in there. One extreme to the other.
Rather than buy a potting table I’ve acquired a vintage washstand off eBay. Just need to source some wide, but reasonably priced staging – which is harder than it sounds.
So now almost I’m good to go. My first ever greenhouse!
I have finally started planting seeds – SO LATE!
The greenhouse is still not built as the weather has been very unfriendly. Easter was basically a wash out, although we have made some progress on the slab base – more on that soon… In the meantime I have taken to setting up a seed table in the house to get going.
So here’s my first seed list of 2018 🙂 Sweet Peas, Peas, and Mange Tout, as follows:
Sweet: Blue Velvet / Almost Black / Harlequin Mix (Lord Nelson/ Matucana/ Prince Edward of York)/ Opal Mix (Anniversary/ Mrs Collier/ Painted Lady/ Turquoise Lagoon/ Wiltshire Ripple / Hi-Scent
Pea: Tendrilla / Sugar Ann/ Douce Provence
Mange Tout: Carouby de Maussane (my favourite) / Shiraz / Golden Sweet / Oregon
So happy to have begun 🙂
Making way for my greenhouse – it was time for the leaning tower of shed to go….
It has been leaning for three reasons – firstly because it had basically been pushed over by the leylandii, resulting in the earth at the back being compressed, and finally because it had various rotten bits, but not all in the same places!
In turns out that taking down a semi rotten shed is quite hard work, as is was rotten enough to let water in, but not enough to actually fall down easily.
I had already had the electrics disconnected, taken the door off and the shelves down. Next step the roof – although we only had access from one side so in fact it was a bit piece-meal in the end.
It also turns out that breaking up a semi rotten shed takes time too. I have now made two trips to the recycling tip, and reckon one more session of breaking up the sides and loading the car will do it. All we need now is spring ;).
At the end of January, I followed the small amount of sunlight to Scotney. It’s really old – c. 1378. Even the “new” castle is old around 1843. Lots of people were out walking; a bit of fresh air goes a long way at this time of year. A robin came and hung out with me for a while, and a few flowers starting to bring a bit of colour into the garden.
It was muddy. I always forget this until my walking shoes are coated and it’s too late (or I am too lazy) to go back for my wellies.
This time I found the icehouse – where they used to refrigerate things before refrigerators – it was surprisingly deep, although the exterior was small. It was strangely atmospheric, and must have been quite an undertaking when it was excavated.
Also a little spring, almost forgotten at the very edge of the property. It must have been prized in it’s day, as it was surrounded by stones. A little addition to my walks here in the future.
These make me think of my grandma – she always had books on flowers of the wayside. I love the word too, the sentiment of these almost neglected plants, but not quite unseen. These are from Greece.
As we’ve been away I’ve fallen behind a bit on my allotment posts. So this is a bit of a round up 🙂 .
Firstly I got hold of some collapsable raised beds from Primrose for the beans. I have hung a climbing net from the scaffold poles left by the previous occupants, so they would have something to climb up. The sweetcorn has also gone in. And some Globe Artichokes. Oh and I’ve put the tagetes in between the beans to ward of black fly.
Mick also gave me some savoy cabbages so I’ve put those in with the other brassicas.
In the garden I’ve been potting on, with quite a bit more to go.
I was feeling very smug.
Mmm – not so smug now! When I next went to put in my replacement raspberry canes (Tulameen), I discovered that all my Butternut squash, and half my pumpkins had been eaten by the slugs 😮 .
I have protected the pumpkins with cloches for now, and got some copper tape to see I can could limit the damage. I also ordered some firmer copper bands which will stand up on their own and are reusable (but much more expensive). Anyway – enough for now, but more soon.